One of our pest control customers was more than surprised to hear that there’s more than one type of cockroach in Australia when she found two different types of cockroaches crawling through her kitchen!
To make matters worse, out of the 4,000+ cockroach species in the world, Australia has close to 450 native species of cockroaches! Don’t be too disturbed by this figure, as there are only 6 species that are the most commonly encountered household cockroaches in Australia.
Certain species of cockroaches have co-inhabited with humans in many areas such as homes, ships, food production & storage facilities. These common household cockroaches were introduced into Australia over the last 200 years and are the most commonly encountered household pests in Australia.
6 Most Common Types Of Australian Cockroaches
- Australian cockroach
- Oriental cockroach
- German cockroach
- American cockroach
- Brown Banded cockroach
- Smoky Brown cockroach
To help you identify these different types of cockroaches in your home, we’ve displayed them below in all their beauty… (or not).
Australian Cockroach Species Identification Chart
Fun Facts About The Different Types Of Australian Cockroaches
- A cockroach can live a month without food, but only a week without water.
- A cockroach can live for a week without a head. It dies after a week due to lack of water.
- Cockroaches are omnivores, so they can eat just about anything!
- A cockroach can hold its breath for up to 40 minutes.
- Cockroaches will even live in the walls of a clean dwelling, however they will maintain larger colonies in a less clean environment due to a bigger available food supply.
Have you seen one or more types of these cockroaches in your home?
For more information on how to prevent cockroaches or get rid of them entirely in your home, contact us or book an appointment for a cockroach removal treatment today!