Silverfish have strong mouths that chew through your household items such as clothing, paper, wallpaper, and even fabrics. They’re annoying little buggers at the best of times, and when they are at their worst, they can even destroy priceless family heirlooms, like irreplaceable photographs!
They don’t transmit bacteria or diseases that are harmful to you or your family, but their excrement can present an odour. So while silverfish infestations aren’t time sensitive, they are still an issue you’ll want to get cleaned up.
We Treat for Silverfish With the Following Treatment Packages:
When we are in your home for any of our services, we inspect for the presence of general pests — so we are always checking for silverfish! To properly treat for silverfish, we use a professional grade insecticide around the perimeter of your home and along the interior perimeter of your home as well (along your skirting boards).
Choose a professional team (like us!) to control silverfish because we also insert a fine dust treatment around water sources and those hard-to-reach areas. Silverfish can hide out behind dishwashers, underneath sink cabinets, near drains, and in laundry areas — without the extra care that we pay to these areas, silverfish are difficult to control.
Book Your Silverfish Treatment Today
Why Are Silverfish Such a Problem?
- They will eat your possessions.
- They can be found almost anywhere in your home — and often prefer dark, undisturbed spaces such as walls, roof areas, and under furniture.
- They eat your food! Silverfish are particularly fond of starchy foods, such as cereals, grains, and the boxes these starchy items are stored in.
- They hide during the day and feed at night.
- They are incredibly fast and agile, and can even dislodge the scales on their back to escape from predators!
- Silverfish can live for up to four years.
How You Can Prevent and Control Silverfish
- Inspect all secondhand items that you bring into your home for all pests, including silverfish. Be especially careful with:
- Store your books, paper files, and clothing in areas that are as bright and well-ventilated as possible.
- Keep your home clean, especially the kitchen.
- Store foods that are starchy in airtight, plastic containers so that they don’t become a tempting food source for silverfish.
- Remember, things that are kept in the far corners of cabinets and closets, and are therefore rarely disturbed are a prime target for silverfish to make a home out of!
Frequently Asked Questions About Silverfish
Are silverfish harmful?
Silverfish aren’t harmful to humans as they don’t transmit harmful bacteria or diseases to you or your pets — but they can produce a gross odour! If you’re sick of seeing silverfish skittering around your home get in touch with us today!
How can I tell if I have a silverfish infestation?
You can tell if you have a silverfish infestation if you’ve seen them in any dark or moist areas in your home. Try looking in basements, storage rooms, or your bathroom. Silverfish like to eat up our possessions, so if you’ve been noticing holes in your wallpaper, clothes or books you have in storage you’re probably dealing with a silverfish infestation!
If you’ve spotted silverfish in your home get in touch with us right away! We’ll help you get rid of them — for good.
How many silverfish treatments are needed to be effective?
One silverfish treatment is all that is necessary. The success of the treatment relies on your great housekeeping after the treatment. Our friendly technicians will guide you on any specific housekeeping tasks required. Other than that, your normal vacuuming, and periodic deep cleaning of wardrobes is all that is required.
How long after a silverfish treatment will I see results?
You will see results immediately. However, to see full eradication you will need to conduct the after care steps as directed by our technician. If you do this your home should be silverfish free within 6 weeks.